Thursday, May 9, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday #1 - The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker

I know it's Thursday, but I didn't decide to participate until today. And even though most people will list a book that's yet to come out, I am listing one that's out that I haven't been able to acquire and read yet.


The  book I am most waiting on reading right now is The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker. Chava - a golem whose maker died at sea on the trip over to the States and Ahmad a jinni who is free, but not entirely so, meet in turn of the century New York City. "Like their immigrant neighbors, the Golem and the Jinni struggle to make their way in this strange new place while masking the supernatural origins that could destroy them," says GoodReads.

Also according to GoodReads, "Marvelous and compulsively readable, The Golem and the Jinni weaves strands of Yiddish and Middle Eastern literature, historical fiction and magical fable into a wondrously inventive and unforgettable tale."


Turn of the century New York City was a fascinating place. Not that I would ever have wanted to be there, but I know one of  my great-grand fathers was there not long after that. All the immigrants settling in to life in the United States would make for confusion, miscommunication, and opportunities for friendship in the shared struggles. Throw in the 
Yiddish and Middle Eastern literature and fable with the history and you get an interesting blend that sounds like a winner to me. I am so looking forward to reading this. It's on my wish list for now. Waiting on the library to get it.

And thanks to Breaking the Spine for hosting Waiting on Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment