Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Review: Midnight Crossroad by Charlaine Harris

"Stop at the one traffic light in town, and everything looks normal. Stay awhile, and learn the truth..."

Midnight Crossroad by Charlaine Harris is the first in a new trilogy taking place in Midnight Texas. It's expected to be released today, May 6, 2014 by Ace Hardcover. 


The novel opens with a new resident, Manfred Bernardo, moving into town. So we see a lot of it through his eyes at first. The plot moves a little slow at this point because of the description involved in the world building, but then it picks up rather rapidly afterwards. Then it becomes nigh unto impossible to put down. 


The characters are interesting and varied from non-human and paranormal to the normal human. There is even a snake shapeshifter. I liked that the female characters were equally as strong as the male characters for the most part. 


Part of the ending weirded me out a little, but I could see it happening in this town. And I imagine that there are those among us would be only too happy if it happened elsewhere as well. I can't say what, because it would be a huge spoiler. 


It's well plotted. The characters in Midnight are likable. It's worth your time to give it a read especially if you've enjoyed Charlaine Harris' other works. It is a trilogy so there are only 2 more books expected in this series. 


I liked this book enough to give it 4 stars out of 5. I would consider giving it as a gift to friends who enjoy this genre. I hope if you read it that you will enjoy it too.


Disclaimer: I received my copy free from the Penguin First to Read program.

No comments:

Post a Comment