Thursday, January 15, 2015

Review: Black Widow by Jennifer Estep

Black Widow by Jennifer Estep is book #12 in the Elemental Assassin series. The Kindle edition was released November 25, 2014 by Pocket Books.

I really enjoyed this book as much as I did book #11, Poison Promise. It was surprising to find out that Mab had a daughter, but not so much a surprise that Madeline would choose to seek revenge against Gin and use it to gain control of the underworld. After all, ever since there was a power void created when Gin killed Mab, every other boss in town has been trying to do the same thing.

The plot twist comes when it shows that Madeline's expertise is not so much in face to face confrontation, but in weaving webs around opponents causing things to become more and more miserable before she finds a way to take them out. What I am saying here isn't so much of a spoiler since it is mentioned in the blurb on Goodreads.com.

Finn comes across a little two dimensional in this book as did some of the other characters. The thing is. this book really was mainly about Gin Blanco, the Spider, vs Madeline Monroe more than anything else. Her friends served mostly as a supporting cast. I did like the way her relationship with Bria seemed to improve after the last book. I enjoyed the character of Silvio, her self appointed assistant. It would have been nice to see more of the other characters in terms of development, but again this particular book is mostly about Gin vs. Madeline.

The writing is good. The pacing of the book is well done. I kept turning pages wanting to know what would happen next.

I give this book 4 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book in exchange for my unbiased opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment