Sunday, October 18, 2015

What was the first scary book you read on your own?


What was the first book that you remember reading on your own that scared you? For me, the one that stands out is The House with a Clock in Its Walls by John Bellairs. There were other Halloween books before that and many since then. The ones before that one weren't as scary I think because I wasn't reading them alone. The House with a Clock in Its Walls, on the other hand, was scary among other reasons because I was reading it on  my own.

Brief synopsis from Goodreads:
Orphaned Lewis Barnavelt comes to live with his Uncle Jonathan and quickly learns that both his uncle and his next-door neighbor are witches on a quest to discover the terrifying clock ticking within the walls of Jonathan's house. Can the three of them save the world from certain destruction?

I think for my daughter, the first scary books she read on her own were the Goosebumps books by R.L. Stine. 

If you were asked, what books would you recommend for the young to read for pleasant chills? I would still recommend The  House with a Clock in Its Walls and other books by John Bellairs, books by R.L. Stine, and Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz.  What would you add to this list? I'm sure there are lots more out there.


No comments:

Post a Comment