Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Review: Perfect Gravity by Vivien Jackson

In a dystopian world, Kellen Hockley and Angela Neko knew each other once upon a time. They were friends and lovers while in school together. Now ten years have passed since they've seen each other or communicated in any way. Kellen has to tell Angela that someone in his group has killed her husband. Hearing Kellen's voice, though, works magic on Angela. After an attempt on her life fails, she reaches out to him. They find themselves drawn ever closer as things progress.

This is the second book in the Tether series. I didn't read book one, but I felt that I had enough background provided in the course of the book to enjoy it.

I liked Kellen right from the start. He had a gentle character with a good sense of humor and came across as caring. Angela, on the other hand, I almost had a love/hate relationship with her. Sometimes I really liked her and other times not so much. I wanted Kellen to be happy. I stuck with it to find out what happened. And by the end, Angela finally became more human and more likable for me.

It's a good plot. An interesting view of a dystopian world where the government might be able to control the weather to some extent. And there are androids of a sort that some people use as body doubles. The politics are twisted, but then when aren't they. And you get to sort out just who is the bad guy in all this and if there is more than one.

Overall, I gave it 3.5 stars mostly because of having some trouble staying warmed up to Angela. This is definitely a dystopian science fiction romance. I liked Kellen and his friends and family. I enjoyed the banter between Angela and Kellen. The science fiction parts are interesting with mech droids and Chloe. The cat plays an interesting part as well although I have to admit I was a little uncomfortable with the idea of enhanced animals. Overall, it's a good character driven science fiction romance - definitely a blend of the two genres and not to be read expecting purely one or the other.

Perfect Gravity by Vivien Jackson was released November 7, 2017 from Sourcebooks Casablanca. You can find out more about Vivien Jackson and her books on her website here.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. All opinions herein are my own and freely given.

No comments:

Post a Comment